ELECTRONIC FILING (E-FILE) INSTRUCTIONS
The following instructions apply to filers of annual wage reports (W-2).
E-Filing with Account Ability involves 3 simple
1) Create the W2REPORT transmittal file:
- Select a client from the Client (Filer) Management
- Open the W-2 returns to be reported.
- Select Electronic Reporting from the File
menu to display the Electronic Reporting Options dialog.
- Suggestion - Click the Help button in
order to familiarize yourself with this dialog.
- Select a Destination Folder (this is
where the W2REPORT transmittal will be created).
- Do not check any states to exclude.
- Do not check the Resubmission
indicator (unless you are resubmitting previously reported W-2s).
- Click the OK button.
- If a W2REPORT transmittal file does not
exist, one will be created. Otherwise, you will have the option to append the
W-2s to the existing W2REPORT transmittal file. Although the option to append
is up to you, it is suggested that you append all W-2s to be
reported to a single W2REPORT transmittal file.
- Repeat step (1) for each client until all
W-2s have been written to the W2REPORT transmittal file.
- (Optional) Select View/Delete Filers from
a Transmittal from the Module menu and open transmittal W2REPORT
(W2). It is suggested that you print this list for your records.
2) Upload the W2REPORT transmittal to the SSA
Business Services Online (SSA BSO):
- Select SSA Business Services Online from the Module menu.
- Click Log In.
- Enter your User ID and Password (Tip: You
can use the
Fill-In button to retrieve this information).
- User Certification: Make sure you
have read and agreed to the terms.
- Click Log In in order to access the Main
- Select Report Wages to Social Security.
- If you are checking submission status,
skip to Submission Status below.
- Otherwise, click the Upload Formatted
Wage File tab.
- Click Submit/Resubmit a Formatted Wage
- Read the Before You Start
information, and then click Continue.
- What's in the File? Answer these
questions before clicking Continue.
- Submit Your File. Browse to the
W2REPORT file and click Submit to upload your transmittal.
- After the upload is complete, print a copy
of the receipt page.
3) Rename the W2REPORT transmittal:
- Select Rename a W2REPORT (W-2) File
from the Module menu.
- Locate the W2REPORT transmittal and click the Open
- Enter the Wage File Identifier (WFID)
(You will find this information on the receipt
To check your submission status, repeat step
(2) up to see checking submission status.
Submission Status: Click the Search
by WFID tab and click Continue. The status of your submission will be
one of the following: RECEIVED (your transmittal has not been processed
yet); IN PROCESS (your transmittal is now being processed by SSA); COMPLETE
(your transmittal has been accepted by SSA); RETURN (your transmittal
contains errors and must be replaced. In this case, contact Account Ability
Technical Support at 800-582-5831 for assistance).