ELECTRONIC FILING (E-FILE) INSTRUCTIONS
The following instructions apply to filers of information returns (1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, W-2G).
E-Filing with Account Ability involves 3 simple
1) Create the IRSTAX transmittal file:
- Select a client from the Client (Filer) Management
- Open the returns to be reported (e.g. 1098,
1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, W-2G).
- Select Electronic Reporting from the File
menu to display the Electronic Reporting Options dialog.
- Suggestion - Click the Help button in
order to familiarize yourself with this dialog.
- Select a Destination Folder (this is
where the IRSTAX transmittal will be created).
- Do not check any states to exclude.
- Click the OK button.
- If an IRSTAX transmittal file does not
exist, one will be created. Otherwise, you will have the option to append the returns to the existing IRSTAX transmittal file. Although the option to append
is up to you, it is suggested that you append all information returns to be
reported to a single IRSTAX transmittal file (Tip: If you accidentally append a
filer to the same IRSTAX transmittal more than once, you can remove the
duplicate by selecting View/Delete Filers from a Transmittal from the
- Repeat step (1) for each client until all
returns have been written to the IRSTAX transmittal file.
- Select Prepare IRS Transmittal 4804
from the Module menu. Open the IRSTAX transmittal file and select Print
4804 from the File menu. Although IRS no longer requires Form
4804, you will find this 1-page report useful for tracking each transmittal
you submit to the IRS FIRE System.
- (Optional) Select View/Delete Filers from
a Transmittal from the Module menu and open transmittal
IRSTAX. Print this listing and attach it to Form 4804.
2) Upload the IRSTAX transmittal to the IRS
- Select IRS FIRE System from the Module menu.
- Select Log On from the IRS FIRE System menu.
- Enter your User ID and Password (Tip: You
can use the
Fill-In button to retrieve this information).
- Click Continue in order to access the
- Select Send Information Returns.
- Enter your TCC and TIN (Tip: You can use the
button to retrieve this information).
- Verify your Filing Information and click Accept.
- Select a File Type and enter your PIN (Tip:
You can use the Fill-In button to retrieve this information).
- Browse to the IRSTAX file and click Open to
upload your transmittal.
- After the upload is complete, print a copy
of the receipt page.
- Attach your receipt page to Form 4804
printed in step (1).
3) Rename the IRSTAX transmittal to the same
name as IRS:
- Select Rename an IRSTAX/IRS8809 File
from the Module menu.
- Locate the IRSTAX transmittal and click the Open
- Enter the file name assigned by IRS (You will find this information on the receipt
The results of your submission will be emailed
to you within 48 hours. Attach a copy of this email to the receipt page you
printed in step (2). Keep a record of Form 4804 and all attachments for a period
of 5 years.